Another cryptic Opencaching.com slogan
Clearly in response to the high level of chatter across the net about the possible intentions of Garmin and opencaching.com site there is, again, a new slogan on the opencaching.com website. They have replaced “As free as the great outdoors” with:
your caches, your devices, your community
So, we can assume the original slogan still applies (can’t we?) and that the opencaching.com service will be free. It now looks like they are saying it will be open to use with all brands of GPSr, all cache types and will be run by the people. Those are some pretty lofty intentions and ultimately I can see some of them not being attained. In particular the ‘your community’ tag that implicitly suggests it will be a site that provides people with everything they want. Unfortunately it is not possible to please everyone all the time. I also think that the ‘your caches’ tag seems to suggest that there will be a greater range of cache types. This may be a problem and a good example of this is the issue of virtuals – some people love them and want them back whilst others hate them and can see the game becoming overrun with them.
Ultimately the slogan can be debated at length as to its meaning but it falls far short of what I think everyone wants – an actual statement from opencaching.com/Garmin regarding the site and their intentions for it. People know they own it and that something is going to happen so lets hear what it is. But maybe Garmin don’t actually know what they are doing with opencaching.com and now the cat is out of the bag they are running around trying to figure out what to do with it?
- Opencaching are watching… (itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com)
- Garmin – revenues are down; Opencaching.com – a new logo is up (itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com)
- Garmin vs Geocaching.com (itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com)
- Get In The Ring (itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com)
- Garmin Chirp: Genius or Criminal? (itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com)
- Chirps in the wild (itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com)